Arts and Industry Building - Smithsonian Institution
Access to 50,000 square feet of facade for multiple trades on an intricate shaped building.
Existing roof was removed during restoration. Maintained structural integrity of the building. A waterproof deck was installed to create a work platform for the roof removal and provide a dry interior space.
Scaffold challenges included:
- Not able to penetrate the facade so only compression tie-ins were used.
- Owner required scaffold to be wrapped in netting. Engineering and additional tie-ins were required due to the increased wind loads
- Security clearance for entire crew.
- Protect historic fabric from weather conditions during roof removal
- Engineered load transfers and spanned over a myriad of existing trenches.
- Protect the building’s interior during restorations and repairs.